Monday, October 19, 2015

The Worship Wars

I started out as a singer. When I surrendered to the Lord's call to ministry I really thought I would be in music. I had aspired to replace Don Reid with the Statler Brothers or Duane Allen with the Oak Ridge Boys. Alas, this teenaged dreamer did not know that those men were forever fixtures in those groups.

Then I decided to be the next Kenny Hinson. His voice was the best I had ever heard. That distinction still holds today even though Kenny passed away about 20 years ago. I admired him so much that I got an Ovation guitar and permed my hair. I still have the guitar. The perm and most of the hair are long gone.

Then that Thursday night of summer camp. I'll never forget it. My life has not been the same since. My closest friend at that time…well, we've not been on speaking terms since. That's all on me, by the way. But the Lord was altering my direction. It was a direction not everybody can go. I'm glad I jumped on board and made the change.

And I thought that change would simply be the way I used my music. A prophetic old preacher man learned of my surrender and told me - when he heard I intended to sing - "Bob, you aren't the best singer I've ever heard." I wanted to but did not say, "And you aren't the best preacher I've ever heard." Although I wasn't very wise I was wise enough not to say it.

And he was right about the direction my life would go. I started preaching. I kept singing, too. Since the last Thursday in June of 1982 I have been a pastor, a music leader, a youth director, and Bible study leader. When I surrendered to the call I said I would do anything. And I have done a lot.

One thing that has always bothered me regardless of my mode of service is the idea Christians have about worship. I've found that many Christians equate worship with music. It's so bad in some circles that the person whose primary responsibility it is to lead all things music has the title of worship pastor or worship leader. I understand that churches put more responsibility on many of these men and women so that the title of song director or music leader doesn't quite fit. Still, the titles seem to imply that worship equals music. In extremes they are teaching that worship is only music.

So when churches argue or split because of the style of music used in the services, we have called it a worship war. I read a headline today suggesting that the next "worship war" would be over lighting. That's right, lighting. Our church has a lighting problem and it pertains to whether we can see across the auditorium - commonly known as a worship center, by the way. As I think about lighting in a church, especially lighting that could cause an argument, I think about the light shows I've seen during "worship." Then the lights go steady (whether bright or dim) when it's time for the preaching.

Worship is music. Preaching is, well, preaching.

I believe worship cannot be contained in a lyric or melody. Worship can be expressed with an instrument but if that's all then so much is missed. Worship is our expression to God in response to who he is and what he does. It can only be limited by who he is and what he does and there are no limits there.

Don't put worship in a box. It's music but so much more. It's the spoken word but so much more. It's prayer but so much more. It's life but so much more. My music, my words, my prayers, and my life are limited by time and space…and sin. How can I think that anything about me can fully define worship. I can't even fully understand worship. I can't fully express worship.

But I can express it to the full extent of my ability and understanding. And that's what God desires: worshippers who worship him in spirit and truth. If I limit worship to something less than it is, then I'm not worshipping in truth. If I limit worship to something I am capable of doing, then I'm not worshipping in spirit.

I've settled the issue in my heart and mind. I'll not fight that battle. I'm not offended by the songs you sing or the lights you use or the hands you raise or don't raise. I have preferences and in my private worship I typically lean that direction. But I really see no value in arguing with someone about it. If there is a battle to be waged it is about how to get Christians to worship - not how Christians worship.

To generously adapt Ronald Reagan's famous quote: "Mr. Worship Argue-er, tear down that wall." Let's end a war that will only lead us to a lukewarm experience.

No comments: