Thursday, October 27, 2005

Have I told you about my older boys?

I am blessed to be the Dad to two young men who will make an impact on the world. Let me tell you about them.

Jim Bob is my oldest. He's 21. That's not hard to remember because he lacks one week being exactly 20 years younger than his Dad. Having a child when you're 20 is challenging but I'm glad I have Jim Bob.

Where'd his name come from? I grew up with the Waltons on TV. Remember John Boy, Elizabeth, and Jim Bob? I am James Robert and I go by Bob. I thought (when I was just 12 or so) that having a son and naming him James Robert, Jr. would be cool. So I did.

When he started school he started going by James because that's what the teachers always called him...that's what was on their roll. Then he came back to Jim Bob but then moved on to just Jim. Now he's Jim Bob again. I think the name is great. And I think the young man is great.

He attends the University of Central Arkansas and is in his fourth year working toward a double major in music and theater. He wants to change the way high school choirs function. He writes music, arranges music, and leads a male quartet. He performs in operas and other theatrical productions. He's quite a guy and I love him. He'll impact the world by touching the lives of teenage boys and girls who are trying to decide who they want to be.

Caleb just turned 19. He's a freshman at Arkansas Tech University and wants to be a high school football coach. I think he'll be good at it. He's been playing on a team since he was in 5th grade and in the backyard as long as I can remember. He was always a little taller and faster than the other kids so he started out at tailback and set all sorts of rushing records in the Boys and Girls Club league. He aspired to play in the NFL.

As the other kids started growing and catching up to Caleb, and as he started filling out, he told me that he didn't think he'd be playing on Sundays. A bit of reality in the midst of a child's dreams. His mind for football matches his ability. He'll be a great coach because he wants to help teenagers. He had great coaches like Coach Bobby and Coach Wear to be his examples. He even has Coach Wear's phone number in his cell phone memory. He will impact kids like Coach Wear has impacted him.

I'm not sure if I contributed "Caleb" and his mother contributed his middle name, "Tanner," or if it was the other way around. That was 19 years ago! "Caleb" is the name of a person of great integrity and faith in the Bible - I pray those qualities for my son. "Tanner" became the nickname "TanTan" but he's long since outgrown that. I love him and look forward to his impact on the lives of teenagers.

I can see a little of their Dad in both my boys. More importantly, I can see a little of their Heavenly Father in them.

Father, bless my boys and guide them in your ways. Help them impact the world and help them impact eternity.

Good night, Jim Bob. Good night, TanTan.

No comments: