Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Dog, Deer, and Dears

Dog
Sandy is growing. She has almost doubled in weight since we got her on January 13. She now weighs close to 40 pounds and is about 6 1/2 months old. According to the humane society, she was only supposed to get up to 40-45 pounds. I'm thinking she'll blow past that before long.

She ain't nothing but a hound dog. Actually, probably a little something else, too. It's hard to tell. We went to Memphis a couple of weekends ago and showed Riley some of the Elvis stuff in town. He was impressed that this was the guy who sang "Hound Dog."

We've been talking about taking her to the training sessions at PetSmart but haven't done it, yet. We really, really need to do that. She has some bad habits: jumping up on you, running close to the road and not coming back when you call her, running to the edge of the woods and not coming back when you call her, standing on the other side of the room and not coming back when you call her. School would probably be worth the tuition.

Deer
About a week ago Deana was taking Sandy for her 8:00pm potty trot. Deana starts yelling at Sandy (who doesn't come when you call her) to get her back in the garage - evening sleeping quarters. There was something in the bushes across the yard. Deana said whatever it was was bigger than both of them put together. Rumor has it that there are bear(s) in these woods.

I went out and didn't see or hear anything.

The next night I'm taking Sandy for her 8:00pm potty trot. I hear something in the bushes across the yard. Of course, it is dark and the light at the garage is not shining bright enough or in the right direction. I get my flashlight and shine it in that direction.

Four sets of eyes were staring back at me. I couldn't see anything except the light reflecting in the eyes of four deer. I suppose they were deer; I hope they weren't bear(s).

Tonight was Deana's turn again for the 8:00pm potty trot. She saw a deer standing in the tall grass next to the tree line. With Daylight Savings Time kicking in, it was a bit lighter than usual. Light enough to see an outline anyway. By the time she called for Riley and me, the deer had disappeared.

Dears
Deana and Riley are pretty special people. Can't live without them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Honey,
I love this blog!!
Deana