Saturday, March 24, 2007

Hard Drive

My new computer is here and in fine working order. I'm so glad. The only drawback is that the hard drive on my old computer died. I can't get any information off it. I use my computer for everything! And I never back up the data. Bad mistake.

Hard drives are wonderful things. The documents I use in my work (pastorate) are on there. The documents from the last three churches I've served are on there. Like most of what I save, electronic or otherwise, is of little value but some of it is very helpful. One documents is my preaching calendar. I keep a record of sermons I've preached as well as those I plan to preach. Now I'm scrambling trying to recreate the next few weeks. But my hard drive FORGOT!

God never forgets. Anything. He remembers me. He remembers my needs. He remembers to look out for me. He remembers that I accepted Christ as my Savior and Lord when I was eight years old. He remembers!

In Jeremiah 31:34, God says, "For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more."

What? God forgets something?

I believe the Bible. All of it. So when the Bible teaches that God knows all things (it does teach that), I believe it. So when I read something that seems to contradict something else in scripture, it must be that I just don't completely understand something. The Bible really cannot contradict itself. My confusion is just proof that I don't know all the Bible holds.

So how can God be omniscient yet not remember sins? I'm sure that God knows I'm a sinner - he knows everything.

The key to understanding this "contradiction" is in the Hebrew word translated "remember" in this verse. It's primary meaning is "to remember." It also has a meaning of "to recall." To me, it seems that recalling is a bit more active than remembering. It's not that God forgets my sin but that he chooses not to recall them. When I accepted his salvation God choose to forgive my sins and not recall them anymore.

I wish my hard drive would choose to recall my data.

No comments: