Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Plenty of Work

I've talked with people in the construction trades recently and get mixed signals: some say there is plenty of work while others have experienced more idle time than they would like. That's sorta the nature of the business. We felt the same trends or cycles when we owned a floor covering store. The cash flow associated with seasonal or cyclical business trends is partially the reason for the poor results we experienced.

I'm 4 months into my first full-time pastorate. Having left a salaried position and a part-time church to move here, I really wasn't sure how my daily and weekly schedule would evolve. I am learning that ministry is cyclical, too. Each week I have the task of preparing for the scheduled services. I preach twice on Sundays and teach a Bible Study on Wednesdays. I read, study, and pray every day in preparation for these. Then I have my personal quite time and time spent praying for the church and our needs.

Still there is ample time to sit at the piano for a few minutes each week. I would probably go crazy without some piano time!

The past two weeks have had a few extras added in that aren't part of every week. Hospital visits and funerals are the cyclical parts of ministry. "Crises" - which includes these and other similar situations - round out the calendar.

A deacon called me a few days after I started and asked if the phone was ringing off the wall. I told him he was the first to call in several days.

It's almost 4 months later and I can't say that anymore. Pastoral ministry is applying the truth of scripture to a person's point of need. So these things are certainly NOT interruptions; they are the reason I am here.

No comments: