Friday, April 20, 2012

Weekly Devotion - April 20, 2012

"I will remember the deeds of the Lord;
yes, I will remember your miracles of long ago."
Psalm 77:11 NIV
I was first introduced to Henry Blackaby in the mid-90s. The Experiencing God Bible study greatly influenced my life. In fact, I believe that a particular church and its pastor, along with Experiencing God and MasterLife, were the catalysts God used to bring me back to my calling to preach and pastor.

One of the most memorable aspects of Blackaby's Bible study was what he said about spiritual markers. Every Christian should be able to look back and see specific times when God was working in their lives in dramatic and memorable ways. Here are a few of my spiritual markers.

I was saved on the first Thursday of August in 1972. I realized I needed Jesus as my Savior during revival services at New Hope Baptist Church in Dardanelle. But I didn't do anything during church. My Dad talked with me at home later that night. I came to saving faith in Jesus that night.

I was called to ministry on the last Thursday of June in 1982. Having just graduated high school, I was attending summer camp as a counselor for the first time. The Lord impressed upon me clearly that I was to be a minister. I wasn't sure what kind, but I knew I would be doing something for the church.

The last Thursday in May of 1992 was the lowest and darkest day I had ever experienced. I walked into an empty house after work that day but I prayed for peace and strength to deal with what was happening. Just like when he calmed the storms, Jesus calmed my life and I am forever thankful.

Asaph was a musician in the temple and wrote some of the Psalms. Psalm 77 is a song of hope. You might not think that when you begin reading. The words show anguish and desperation. But at the halfway point he recalls the spiritual markers in the life of Israel. Pray that God will help you identify spiritual markers and recall them when you need encouragement and strength.

No comments: