Saturday, December 29, 2012

Weight Loss for 2012

One year ago I embarked on a journey, an uncertain journey. About 500 miles later, I'm 45 pounds lighter. My best was at 47 but we've just experienced the holidays and the snow canceled a few trips down Rushing Road. That's pretty good and I'm well on my way to longer life. I'm convinced that if I die of a heart attack or stroke today I've lived longer because of the exercise. And if I live to be 80 plus years old, I believe some of those days or years can be traced back to this year.

So many have made the journey with me and I appreciate all of you. Whether you laced up your running shoes with me or encouraged me or "liked" my posts or lifted my name in prayer, thank you! I still have more to do and will need you on the team. I'd really like it if more of you would hit the road with us. One reason is that we like to "share" Forrest with as many people as we can!

Forrest Grimmett is the instigator in all this. At our church Thanksgiving dinner over a year ago, Forrest suggested we start walking or running at the first of the year. I knew he was adopting me as his project but I didn't know the extent of his commitment at first. As the year progressed I understood. I couldn't ask for a better friend. Few have ever invested as much in me as Forrest has.

I'm ready for Rushing Road to thaw and clear so I can get started on my 2013 goals. Twelve months from now I want to weigh less that 200 pounds. That will require a loss of 49 pounds; a total of 94 over two years. During 2013 I will run at least 600 miles. I will participate in at least one 5K race improving upon my personal best time of 33:53.

Here are a couple of other goals for 2013. I will read the Bible completely. It's easy to read the easy parts of the Bible. Some of us get bogged down with some parts so we either skip it or quit. God's word is good - all of it. I've read it through a few times, most recently this year. If you want to join me, get a plan like the ones offered at youversion.com that will help you stay on track. Apps for smartphones are available, too.

I will complete my doctoral work this year. It's time. This will challenge me and my church but we'll all be better because of it. Your prayers and encouragement will go a long way to seeing this goal completed.

Have you ever listened to a congressman make a speech on the floor of the Senate or House? They will say something like this: "I reserve the right to correct or extend my remarks." That means that they'll probably add to what they are saying later. So I might do that, too. Maybe I'll up the mileage goal or add something related to my family.

Will you set goals for 2013? Goals are good; life is aimless without them. Share your goals with me and some other folks. We'll try to encourage you and pray for you as you try something new, something hard, something scary, or something necessary. Let's all set a goal of loving God and loving each other and making disciples of all nations.

No comments: