Thursday, August 08, 2013

Alone with God

We are in our 19th month of walking or running three days a week. What started as a group of three and maxed out at eight was a duo this morning. Stuff happens. People change their minds. It gets hard.

For the last three or four months it's mostly been Forrest (leader/trainer), Deana (wife), and me. To encourage Deana and to baby my left knee, I've been walking at her pace most of the time. That's a lot different from the pace I had been running. It was actually a struggle to keep up at first because my knee problems had flared up. That's why I stopped running.

I have gotten used to the walking pace even as it picked up a little over the weeks. But I was never pushing myself to the point that I couldn't take part in the conversation. Here's my take: if you can carry on a conversation you're taking a stroll, not exercising.

Today it was just Forrest and me. I jogged a little on the last outing and we jogged the whole way today. I hope my knee can take the more aggressive pace. My weight has crept up since I stopped running and I want to get headed in the right direction again.

For the most part I've been at the head of the pack except for Forrest for the last 19 months. And recently I've stayed with the pack. Today Forrest was ten to forty yards ahead of me the whole way. When I compare myself to the others I look pretty good. I've stuck with it. I can pick up the pace and get out front.

But I could do nothing to keep up with Forrest. He could have beaten me by a mile if he wanted to. And the route was just 2.5 miles!

What happened on Rushing Road this morning between 5:00 and 5:30 exposed a great life-lesson. We can get a false sense of accomplishment when we compare ourselves with others who are struggling along the same road we are. The true picture of our status comes when we compare to the standard of excellence.

I don't feel bad that I couldn't keep up with Forrest. But I am encouraged to do better.

In the spiritual life some people like to compare themselves with others making the same journey. You can always find somebody to whom you compare favorably. It's easy to point out the struggles or downfalls of other people.

But how you stack up with other people really doesn't matter. Only one person is the standard of excellence by which we are judged: Jesus Christ. Comparisons to anyone else lead to a false sense of accomplishment, a puffed up spirit, and a sure fall into disappointment.

Time alone with Forrest helped me see my true level of physical fitness. I could make no excuses or false comparisons.

Time alone with God will help you see your need for his guidance and power in your life. There will be nobody to compare to. There will be no acceptable excuses.

And the good news is that Jesus wants to help you meet his expectations and example. You'll never be able to do it alone. He won't hold that against you as long as you follow him and give him glory with your life.

The last thing Forrest said before driving away was, "That was a good run." I hope one day to hear my Lord say, "Well done, good and faithful servant."

No comments: