Monday, August 19, 2013

Back to School

Today is the day the public schools in our area get back at it. The teachers have been working for several days. The private schools have been in for a week already. Now everyone is back to the normal routine. A hundred years ago I guess the planting would be over so the kids would get in a few weeks of school before it was time for the harvest. I'm glad we don't live in those days.

Most kids have mixed feelings about going back to school. They will miss the free schedule of summer but - truth be told - they've been missing their friends and the activities of school. And, yes, some have even missed their teachers. I'm sure I complained like kids do today, but I really don't remember not wanting school to start. I liked school and still do. I need to try harder to instill that into my youngest son!

In the children's sermon yesterday I told the kids I had three words for them that I was sure would bring some emotion from them. "Back to School." When I said those words almost everyone under the age of 18 groaned; even the kindergarteners sitting on the steps with me. And almost everyone who had a school-age child cheered. What a difference of opinion about this time of year.

I also told the kids about a teacher that is always on the job and never gets a summer vacation. Jesus said the Holy Spirit would be our Teacher so that we could know what Jesus taught. He is our constant companion helping us, encouraging us, guiding us, convicting us, and teaching us. Just imagine your favorite teacher in your favorite subject getting to spend all the time with you. Have you ever finished a class but still wanted or needed to know more? Maybe the final exam proved you hadn't learned everything. Maybe you had questions that the course content had not answered.

Fall Break, Christmas Break, Spring Break, or Summer Break never come with the Holy Spirit's teaching. And that's not a bad thing. Instead, you always have a chance to know God better. Some of the Holy Spirit's lessons are in the classroom and some are in the lab. Some are fun and some are not so fun. But they are always for your good and will always help you as you live this life.

Don't be tardy or truant. And be safe, watch for kids and buses, and have a great school year.

No comments: