Friday, August 02, 2013

Weekly Devotional - August 2, 2013

"He replied, 'I tell you that to everyone who has, more will be given, but as for the one who has nothing, even what he has will be taken away."
Luke 19:26 NIV

"Use it or lose it." How often have you heard that phrase? We might refer to muscles or brain power or many other things. And most often, it's true!

United Airlines sent a notice to me in the mail last week because my frequent flyer miles are about to expire. "Frequent flyer" doesn't describe me at all but I did go to Russia last year and that's a lot of miles! My expiring mileage balance is 8,231.

The airline apparently (and correctly) assumes I'm not going to use those miles to purchase airfare so they sent a voucher to redeem for magazines. How about a gift card to my favorite coffee shop or pay for the next semester of tuition? That would be useful.

But I get magazines. Either that or I lose my miles. I wonder how many dollars I'll save if I use all my miles for magazines. I would prefer the airlines just reduce the price of airfare by that much and forget the mileage program.

So I use the miles or I lose the miles. Just like in the story Jesus told about the servants who managed their master's resources differently. The two who did well and showed an increase were praised and rewarded. The one who did nothing was punished. His was taken from him.

I want Jesus to find me being faithful, don't you? I can use my abilities and resources for his glory or not. That's my choice. But I think I know how he'll respond. Pray that God will help you be faithful when your blessings today.

No comments: