Friday, March 07, 2014

A Weighty Opportunity

I'm working on sermons for the Easter season. In some regard, this is an easy task. I will preach about sin, sacrifice, forgiveness, and redemption. I will expect the Spirit to work in me as I prepare and present the messages. And he will work beyond me to impact those who hear the messages. Easter can and should be an expectant time in the church - the whole world talks about Jesus for a few weeks! I understand, as you do, that the talk is not always good but just the mention of his name is powerful. So, let them talk about Jesus!

Easter sermons are also hard to prepare. By hard, I mean that the weight of the preparation is heavy. (I take all sermon prep seriously, by the way.) Some who have never heard the gospel clearly presented will hear these sermons. Some who have rejected the claims and offers of Jesus will hear these sermons. Some who are just attending to fulfill an obligation will hear these sermons. That's not a whole lot different from any other sermon, but this is Easter! How do you tell the Good News in a fresh way that is true to the living word of God? Honestly, many of our regular attenders have heard Easter sermons for decades. I not only want to be compelling to the person who does not know salvation in Christ but also to those who are faithful. The gospel impacts both our eternity and our today.

So I'm deep in thought and prayer anticipating a great work of the Lord. That work will be seen several times. I'll see it as he fills my mind with thoughts. Then he'll guide the thoughts from my mind to my notes. Those in the congregation will sense the work of the Spirit when I stand before them to speak the words. The Spirit will work within them to plant truth deep within them. For some, that truth will sprout at that moment and begin to grow as them embrace what Jesus means to us. Others will have to process the ideas longer but when it clicks they'll move forward with Jesus. Sadly, some will reject the truth the Spirit has brought to them.

For some reason God chose to use "the foolishness of preaching" to bring hope to all who will listen to and embrace the gospel. The opportunity to preach the gospel cannot be taken lightly. Nor can the opportunity to hear the gospel. As I and other pastors prepare our messages for the Easter season, you can prepare to embrace these messages. That's a good way to approach Lent. You can read my thoughts on Lent from a couple of years ago here.

The greatest message in the world deserves our greatest attention - whether we deliver the message or hear it.

No comments: