Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Seasons

We are almost a week into Spring. It's chilly outside today. I am amused by the reactions to a change of season or weather that is not normal or what is preferred.

My least favorite season is summer because I prefer cooler temperatures. I can deal with 20 degrees much better than 95 degrees. I prefer a day like today where the high temperature is about 60 and the overnight low is about 40. I could live here for a long, long time.

But I completely understand when someone prefers an upward shift of about 20 or so degrees. I really am not violently opposed to the heat because I pretty much have an inside job. I just wish the switch on my car's AC performed with consistency. I think there is a short in there somewhere.

Griping about seasons is like griping about Mondays. A few years ago a friend posted on Facebook this question: Why would you so despise 15% of your life? That's what Mondays are - 1/7th of your time or about 15%.

God gives us time and seasons but we complain. What sense does that make?

Many want to do away with Mondays but would they gladly give up $15 of a $100 gift? Many want to do away with either winter or summer but would they give up $25 of a $100 gift?

Our time - whether measured in minutes, hours, days, months, seasons, or years - is a gift we are to cherish. In part because of what we can do with that gift, but mostly because of the gift Giver.

When you count your blessings, don't forget to consider the blessing of this day, this season, this time in your life. Be sure to honor God with every gift he gives you.

No comments: