Thursday, February 23, 2006

About to Bust

I don't know how much longer I can take it. It's like Christmas when I was a kid. You know how you would have so much anticipation built up? Sometimes the anticipated event was anticlimactic due to the build-up. But not this time.

I'm a novice photographer. I am also interested in mission work. I was browsing the International Mission Board's website just to see what type of work was available on a short-term volunteer basis. I think every Christian who is physically able should go on at least one international mission trip in their lifetime. Money shouldn't be an issue because their local church should sponsor them if they can't pay for it themselves. God has a wonderful plan for financing his work. It's called tithing. We bring our tithes to the storehouse (the local church) to be used for kingdom work. So your church should be willing to finance your mission trip if you cannot.

So I'm looking for opportunities. I've only been on one mission trip of any kind. That's sad. I'm 41, have been a Christian for 33 years, and have served on local church staffs (staves?) for 23 years. And all I've ever done is canvas a rural community to see if there was interest for a Baptist church. That's very selfish and I'm trying to correct that.

I found opportunities to preach revivals. That's glamorous. Imagine thousands of Nigerians coming to Christ after I preached! We're not all "Billy Graham," though. And that is a little intimidating for a never-been-on-a-mission-trip guy who speaks only English.

I found opportunities for prayer walking. This is neat. You walk through neighborhoods and cities praying for the people you see, schools you pass, businesses in operation, government offices, etc. You would probably have the chance to have conversations with people along the way about what you are doing and why. I like that as a entry point into missions. Some of the areas were described as "rugged terrain" or "hot and humid." I need to do some physical training beofre attempting some of those areas.

There are opportunties for medical missions for those qualified. I've been to a medical clinic but not to med school. And I don't think they want me on a construction crew except for fetching and toting.

What I'm most excited about is a request from missionaries in Turkey to come and spend a week or two taking pictures of the people and places. The missionaries want to create a database of images to use in promoting their work. How cool is that. I'm so excited that I'm about to bust. I've requested information about the few opportunities listed; I can't wait to hear back from them!

Remember, I'm a novice photographer but I really hope and pray that my skills and equipment are sufficient. And that my church will cover the $2000 to send me.

1 comment:

TheCrazySquirrel said...

I'm going to be in Turkey all summer, I'd love to help set you up with some missionaries in the area or get you in contact with some people in the states that might could help. If you would like you can go to my website (not my blog) here - http://www.thecrazysquirrel.net/ and then click Clifford and click Contact and send me an email. Have a nice day!