Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Awkward

It's an awkward situation. One of my heroes of the calling just completed preaching three stirring sermons to my congregation. He's always so gracious to offer his assistance with anything I need. "Just let me know how I can help you, Bob." "Let me know if there is anything I can do for you." And he has so much to offer and he means it.

How do I let him know that I would do anything for him without it sounding like I'm asking to do something for him? I do not presume repayment in kind and struggle painfully trying not to sound that way. So I said, "If I can help you in any way, I would love to." Thud. Hopefully, he took it in the right way because what I heard sounded awful!

Please don't think I'm thinking poorly of myself or my abilities or elevating him to highly. It's just awkward when the mentoree offers assistance to the mentor. But I would like to be on his list of people to call on when he needs something. I'll work toward that.

No comments: