Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Revival

I learned this in seminary: revival is an act of the Holy Spirit to stir in believers' hearts the desire to know God better and serve him more. That's good. A bit clinical, but good.

Revival is God showing me how I fall short of his glory and then challenging me to step up my walk with him so that I grow with him. The ultimate result is that I become a tool God can use in his hands to accomplish his kingdom work in the world.

I want my life to glorify God. Not because I want to repay him for what he's done for me because I could never do that, but because he is soveriegn and majestic and omnipotent and more. He's my Savior and Lord. There is no other.

Did you know that if your motivation for serving him is to repay him you have missed what salvation is? If I can repay Christ for my salvation that means that eventually I could have gained my salvation without him. Not gonna happen. Foolish to try. I'm not sure that a person can be saved if they believe they have to repay Christ for salvation.

Really, salvation is my understanding that I cannot gain it myself and must rely on the free grace-gift provided by God through the death of his son Jesus on the cross where his precious blood waits to wash away my sin. All I have to do is accept the gift and come under his lordship.

Salvation is costly to God but free to me. Salvation is hard for God but easy for me. All I have to do is accept the gift. God had to give his son to die for me...and you.

No comments: