Monday, March 15, 2010

On the Mark

I am reading the Gospel of Mark today. This gospel is one of my four favorites because of its fast-paced action. Jesus is always doing something. Mark moves from one thing to the next. While other gospels may be docu-dramas or romances, Mark is an action-packed thriller.

Speakers at the Expository Preaching Workshop at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary challenged me to read the Bible to a greater degree than I have in the past. I’ve always thought that if I read a little each day, maybe the whole Bible in a year, I would be OK. But when I consider that the Bible is not only my life but my living, I realize I should read it more.

For the moment, I have three reading plans. One to read the Bible through in a year. One to read Psalms and Proverbs each month. And one to read the text for upcoming sermons and Bible studies. Maybe I should integrate these somehow but I just know that I have to read the Bible more. Why? It’s the “trade journal” for my career. Three times a week people sit before me with this question in their hearts: What does God’s word have for me today?

The challenge to read the Bible has brought me great encouragement and joy. As I continue, I expect to learn more about God, his will, and myself.

On the Mark…get set…go!

No comments: