Monday, March 01, 2010

Plans

I headed out this morning to go to the bank, get a prescription refilled, and visit a friend in the hospital. Well, I made it to the bank, forgot to take the prescription, and the friend has been discharged from the hospital. This trip illustrates many things. First, sometimes things go as planned. At the bank I was able to make the deposit and pick up more deposit slips. That was a good stop.

But the second thing about the trip bothers me. I am forgetful. I don’t remember when this affliction first beset me. Because of this, I’ll have to make another trip to town today because I am completely out of the medication and I’m supposed to take it daily. Way to go, Bob! What do you think are the chances I’ll actually remember?

Third, our plans sometimes blow up because something good (or better) happens. Getting discharged from the hospital was a good thing for my friend. Had my plans worked perfectly, he would still be there.

I guess this is why the Bible says we aren’t to rely too much on our own plans. Instead, we are to always be looking for God’s activity and align out plans with this. Much better than having 1/3 of your own plans actually come to pass.

1 comment:

A s h said...

Your son has inherited the forgetfulness. ;)