Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Hummingbirds

We have a hummingbird feeder on the front porch. I can see it as I sit at the table working. An interest thing is taking place: the birds are sitting on the perches of the feeder while they sip the homemade Kool-Aid. They just sit there. I’ve never seen them just sit there.

All the hummingbirds I have ever seen have been flapping their wings at super speeds. Even while they sip the Kool-Aid. I’ve never seen a hummingbird sit on the perch.

I wonder why the bird known for its rapid wing movement would sit still. Apparently, the constant flapping doesn’t hurt them or tire them. So why rest?

Pretty good question to ask each of us. We are so used to the rapid lifestyle we lead that stopping or resting never crosses our minds. Sure, we say we need a day to relax or we take vacations to get away from it all, but we never really slow down. It’s true, isn’t it? When was the last time you slowed down or stopped long enough to rest for an extended period of time?

It’s been a while for me. I’ve had business trips, ministry weeks, camps, and stuff. I have weekly deadlines for sermons and publications. Today is July 20 and I thought 2010 just started.

So the lesson of the hummingbird is strange but important. We need to slow down. Stop. Relax. Enjoy what God has provided for us.

No comments: