Friday, July 23, 2010

Looking Out My Window

I am sitting at the dining room table looking through the blinds into the front yard. The house is close to the road and we have a circle drive so there is not much grass in this part of the yard. What I can see are two wooden planters, three pine trees (my father-in-law calls this place “Three Pines Estates”), the road and beyond. Not much on this hot summer day except the weeds in the planters blown about by the dry, hot, summer wind.

So I’m reflecting on Jesus’ conversation with Nicodemus recorded in John 3.

“The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.”

God’s Spirit is always around us, within us. God’s ways are higher than our ways so he is often up to things we don’t know about or understand. Even our own salvation is hard to understand.

Another glance out the window and it seems the wind has stopped. But staring a little long I see slight movement in the planters. So it is with God. Sometimes a quick glance into our lives and we think God has stopped. But if you’ll spend a little time seeking for the Lord you will find he is at work.

The wind is sometimes refreshing. Sometimes the wind blows things out of the way. Sometimes it brings rain that cleanses the air.

Looking out my window reminds me of God’s presence in my life.

No comments: