Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Doubling Up

Hard times have set in at the Loyd household. We are able to buy groceries and make the car payments. The church provides a house and utilities. But for the third budget in a row, they won’t be able to increase their financial support. Deana and I feel like we’ve been pretty good stewards during this time by reducing our spending and eliminating or doing without some extras. But it’s been tight. So I’m looking for a job to provide additional income.

The main reason we need to do this is because we elected to put Riley back into private school this year. He attended Arkansas Baptist Elementary School for K4-K5. When I became pastor of CRBC I no longer had a secular job so we couldn’t afford to keep him there. Now, after three years of cutting back, a paid-in-full loan payment we’ve had for a few years, and the start of a tuition discount for pastors, we are pretty close to being able to put him back in ABES. So we did it.

Now I’m looking for a second job to make sure we are able to cover the tuition payments. So far, the best prospect is substitute teaching at ABES. The superintendent was pleading with parents to apply so maybe I’ll get all the days I need. Not even sure what it pays. Hopefully, I’ll have an interview soon and start before long.

That’s a prayer request. And a praise.

1 comment:

A s h said...

When I substitute taught last year for Conway, the pay was $70 a day. Prepare yourself for phone calls about fifteen minutes before they need you the morning of a sub job, or for days on end when there is no work. It was a struggle last year as a substitute, but it's not always a stable position. I hope you have much luck with it this year! You'll do a wonderful job.