Friday, August 27, 2010

Tithing

I believe in the biblical principle of tithing. In short, tithing is my acknowledgement that God owns all things, is worthy of my worship, and knows my needs better than I do. A tithe is 10% of your gain. It is based on gross income. It includes investment income. It includes gifts. It goes to the local church. It goes into the general budget fund.

A church made up of tithers is a church made up of maturing Christians.

When a Christian does not tithe he is showing his lack of faith in God.

The church can fully fund needed staff positions, ministry projects, missions trips, etc., through the tithe. The reason churches have to conduct fund raisers and have designated accounts is to fund projects the tithe should fund.

Do you tithe? For all pastors, I say “Thank you.”

Do you not tithe? Why not? Do you not believe God owns all things? Do you not believe God is worthy of your worship (tithing is an act of worship)? Do you not believe that God knows your needs better than you do?

Deana and I began exceeding the tithe many years ago. A few times throughout the year we increase our giving by $5 or $10 per week and maintain that new level of giving. I really cannot tell you what percentage we currently give because we increase our tithe like this. I’ve heard of others who increase their tithe annually by 1%. Over many years they are now giving well above the tithe, too. People with practices like these, including my family, can testify to God’s abundant blessings. I will not tell you that our income skyrockets when we are faithful, but I will tell you that God’s blessings come in many different packages – and his blessings always come.

I challenge you to be a tither.

No comments: