Wednesday, December 12, 2012

I Promise to Pray for You

I had lunch today with about thirty other ministers from Pulaski Baptist Association and other churches in central Arkansas. We do this once a month and it's always a good opportunity to catch up with these guys. Sidney, David, Terry, Tim, and I sat together. I also talked with about five other guys. Each church has its opportunities and struggles so I come away with a short prayer list that I scribble in my memory while we talk.

Have you ever told someone that you'd pray for them? Christian people say that a lot but I wonder if we really do it. A friend told me to at least say a quick, silent prayer while I'm still talking with them so I won't be a liar! We sometimes forget to pray for each other.

Prayer is a powerful conversation with God about the opportunities and struggles you, your family, and your friends face. Instead of leveraging that power, we often go powerless and purposeless because we don't pray. And that promise you made to your friend...he may not get the boost he needs when you forget to pray.

Forgetting is one thing but sometimes we say we'll pray when we really have no intention of doing it. So we need to be honest, keep our word, and pray when we say we will. What helps you remember to pray? Some people keep a notebook and jot down requests one the spot. Others might use their phone or other electronic device. And a few people actually have good memories. If you are like me and don't have a good memory, then you have to come up with a plan so you don't let prayer requests fall through the cracks.

Someone is counting on you to pray. You told them you would. If you believe pray works, if you believe God answers prayer, and if you care about the people around you, you'll take it seriously the next time you say, "I'll pray for you."

By the way, how may I pray for you today? Leave a message and I'll do it. Promise!

No comments: