Friday, December 07, 2012

Weekly Devotional - December 7, 2012

"So I will very gladly spend for you everything
I have and expend myself as well."
2 Corinthians 12:15 NIV
 
With Christmas fast approaching, a child might read this verse and get pretty excited. For that matter, most of us adults might perk up, too! If someone says they will spend all they have on you, well, you expect a lot.
 
I've received gifts that made me feel like the giver had spent everything on me. A toy pinball machine when I was about five years old, a shotgun when I was a teenager, or a piece of memorabilia from every Major League ballpark last year...these all made me feel like the giver was the most generous person in the world.
 
While these gifts weren't inexpensive, I think the most impressive aspect was that the giver spent a little of themselves, not just their money. They had to think about what would really be a great gift. They had to do more than scan the store shelves for something I might like. The gifts fit not because of a size label but because of something deeper.
 
Relationships are worth spending everything you have in order to develop and maintain them. And that means you'll need to expend yourself as well.
 
Paul felt invested in the Christians at Corinth. Because of his past investment with them he didn't think twice about investing even more with them. He visited them at least three times. He wrote them maybe as many as four times. He agonized over their mistakes and thrilled in their advances. He was glad to do it!
 
Do you have people in your life for whom you will gladly spend everything you have? And will you expend yourself as well? Our call as followers of Christ involves developing relationships like that so we can help others know Christ, live for Christ, and serve him. It's a costly investment but one that is rewarding. Pray that God will help you develop and maintain relationships by which you can pour yourself into the discipleship of others.

No comments: