Tuesday, December 25, 2012

It's Christmas Morning

The living room is quiet. The tree's lights glow on an empty floor beneath it. The physical remnants of gift-giving are just a few stray pieces of wrapping paper, a gift for a friend yet to be seen this season, and the glow of electronic devices on the faces of everyone in the room. Such is Christmas morning.

Yes, the gift-giving is over and my birthday is 126 days away. As that thought passes from my mind through my fingertips onto the screen and into your eyes, I realize what an inwardly pointing thought it is. We - I am too ashamed to take all the blame myself - have made Christmas all about the gifts we give and receive. Those gifts with a return receipt should they not "fit."

A better perspective might be to focus on the gifts both given and received that didn't come from a department store, weren't charged to a card, can't be exchanged, and never wear out. Time spent with those you love is a good gift and I'm so glad to have given and received that this year. I've spent way too little time with my grandmother, my dad and stepmother, and my adult sons lately. I corrected that this year and that makes this Christmas a special one.

Serving others who have no way to return the favor is another good gift. I've been on the receiving end of this special gift so many times. I'm thinking of people who went out of their way to help me and I am thankful. So I felt blessed to be able to help in a food kitchen this weekend. The idea came over a year ago while sitting in luxury enjoying the fine things of a holiday gathering. A guilty conscience can be a good thing. My family and I will volunteer regularly throughout the year. I do actually get something in return: the gratitude of those we serve is so obvious and heartwarming.

All of this turns my thoughts to Jesus Christ. He unselfishly served and gave. That's really why we celebrate Christmas. I hope my celebration reflects this as I give and receive gifts, spend time with my family, and as I serve others. I want to love others the way Jesus loves me. If it shows then I'm doing it right.

No comments: