Sunday, October 24, 2010

chasing false gods

Tonight in the worship service at CRBC, I preached from 1 Kings 11:1-13. Most of us would, when we read the text, remember that Solomon had 700 wives and 300 concubines. But that’s not the problem and not the point of the text. The problem is that Solomon disregarded God’s word regarding marriage and how a king should conduct himself and followed false gods. The result of the problem was 1,000 sexual relationships in his life, God was angry at him, and God revoked an intended blessing that Solomon’s descendants would always be on the throne of Israel.

So I got to thinking about these questions.

Do I seek God’s counsel and then obey what I learn?
Do I spend time in prayer concentrating on myself or on others?
Do I share the gospel with others or even care that they may be lost?
Do I give of myself to my church?
Do I honor God with my money…all of it?

The answers to these questions indicate whether I am following the Lord wholeheartedly or sometimes chasing after false gods. False gods of pride, success, secular solutions, selfishness.

Like Solomon, sometimes I get full of myself. Do you ever think you are bulletproof? Do you think some or all of the Bible’s commands do necessarily apply to you? Do you have patterns of selfishness in your lifestyle and spending habits?

God was angry at Solomon. The thought of God being angry with me scares me. I want to please my heavenly Father. I want to hear him say, “Well done, my good and faithful servant.” I want others to know that Jesus Christ is the only way to salvation and eternal life.

Father, I confess that I am a sinner. Forgive me and purify me from all unrighteousness. Please make me into the person you want me to be. Lead me in paths that honor you. I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments: