Friday, October 01, 2010

Tony Greene

One of my many endeavors over the years was promoting Southern Gospel concerts in Russellville, Arkansas. I grew up going to the Hughes Center in Russellville for concerts promoted by Ray Baker. He would bring in the Rambos, the Galileans, and the Arnolds. Probably other groups, too.

Then Tom and Tommy (can’t remember their last names) promoted concerts at Witherspoon Auditorium on the campus of Arkansas Tech University. They brought the Kingsboys in at the height of that groups popularity.

I went to Little Rock and Fort Smith every time Frank Arnold promoted a concert. The Hinsons, Hemphills, Nelons, Cathedrals, and many more. I had fallen in love with a style of music that overlays everything I do today.

Sitting in Parsons Rodeo Arena in Springdale, Arkansas one hot August night I heard a group of siblings who were barely in their twenties. The first time I heard the Greenes I was impressed: impressed with their harmonies, impressed with their lyrics, impressed with their stage presence, impressed with everything about them. The Hinsons had recently retired – and I loved the Hinsons. I told myself that the Greenes could replace the Hinsons because of their vocals, stage presence, and spirit. That never really developed because the young Greenes’ development took them another direction. But I was hooked.

So when I thought about promoting concerts, I knew I wanted the Greenes. The normal rate to get them was $1,200 but they did not travel from North Carolina to Arkansas very often and my concert would be a special trip. I offered $2,000. I’m not a very good businessman. But Tony Greene is. He took the offer and the concert was set. I am so thankful for business sponsors who absorbed the deficit for this and every other concert I ever promoted – again, I’m not a very good businessman.

My sponsors and I had the most expensive tickets in the house! But it was worth it to me when the Greenes sang “When I Knelt the Blood Fell,” their first number one song and number one on the charts at the time they came to Russellville. It was worth it when the Greenes sang “Miracle in Me,” one of my all-time favorites from the Greenes. It was worth it when I was able to sit around the table at Shoney’s after the concert and get to know Tony Greene, his brother Tim Greene, and Amy Lambert. I was in heaven!

I brought the Greenes back to Russellville again and again. Each time was special. Tony invited my group Jubilee to come to North Carolina and sing on the Singing at Grandfather Mountain concert he promoted. We did that twice and had a ball. Jubilee recorded our last album at the Loft Studio with Tim Greene.

Then I dropped off the Southern Gospel radar. Churches who like Southern Gospel don’t embrace a divorced man. But Tony always did. Each time I saw him at NQC or some other venue, he remembered me and treated me like a buddy. I appreciate that. Tony, along with Mark and Kenny Bishop and Steve Perkins of the Bishops, always made me feel like I still belonged.

Tony died this Tuesday, September 28, 2010. He is now singing IN the presence of Jesus whom he so often sang ABOUT.

No comments: