Friday, October 08, 2010

Computer Updates

My laptop is almost 4 years old. Seems like each week I can actually feel it getting slower and slower. Some of my software requires regular updates (big ones) and that takes forever! Plus, the internet connection out here is terribly slow but I won’t talk bad about HughesNet in this post.

Computer use can be frustrating. And expensive.

My computer woes resemble my spiritual woes I sometimes experience. The first problem is the speed of my connection with the Lord. He’s always available and I can communicate with him whenever I want. The problem is…sometimes I don’t want to or I let the busy-ness of life distract me. My internet connection is via satellite so sometimes clouds and storms can block the signal – because the satellite is so far away. Prayer is not like that at all, or it doesn’t have to be. God is not far away. Nothing has to be between us. Sin sometimes does get in between me and God but the clouds of guilt are easily dispersed when I confess. God always forgives when I confess. Immediately – clear connection.

But my software may need upgrades. If I don’t read the Bible and pray every day, I don’t have the latest word from the Lord. It seems like I always get something for that day. Obviously, if I miss my quiet time I miss a word from the Lord. And I can’t make it through the day without something stalling like a non-responsive program in the computer.

And then sometimes the hardware has to be replaced. God’s Spirit is working in my life to change me from who I was (even who I am) into who he wants me to be. These are not often just subtle changes or tweaks but complete overhauls. I like my old laptop. I’m used to it. I know what all the buttons do. I like my old self, too. I’m comfortable with me! But I’m sure God looks at me and easily sees what is not useful, or even harmful, in my life. And he wants to upgrade.

I always like my new computer after just a few days or weeks. And I always like the changes God makes in my life. I don’t know why I want to hang on to the familiar, comfortable, old me.

I really need a new laptop. But I really need a new me. And God is ready to do it.

No comments: