Friday, May 11, 2012

My Mother

Outside of referring to her when writing blogs and devotionals or when talking to others about her, I have never called her "mother" or "mom." She is Tuti. I don't really know how that name got started. Probably my older sister had already pegged her with that name before I was able to say my first word - which was probably, "Tuti."

As Mothers Day comes around this weekend, I want to say a few things about her. First, Tuti is the most generous person I know. Taking from the "5 Love Languages" book, her love language is giving. She gives and gives and never asks for anything. I'm 48 years old and am still on the receiving end of the relationship. Not that I'm complaining!

She cares. Tuti rejoices when I rejoice and cries when I cry. It was Mothers Day in 1992 when I told her I was getting divorced. She cried tears of sadness. In 1982 when I told her I had been called to preach, she cried tears of joy. And maybe tears of grief because she knew the trials a pastor and his family would face. Our phone calls always have the standard "how are you doing?" from both of us. Her answer is always short. She wants to hear about me and my family.

Tuti is there. My successes and failures are dotted along the path of my life. One thing constant throughout is that she's been there. She and my stepfather Ralph have worn out several cars just being there for their kids. It makes this preacher really happy to have Tuti in the congregation on Mothers Day. Because of my job, I don't get to go see her on this special day, so she comes to see me. I know that won't last forever, but I'm glad it's happening this year.

When you meet her or see her again, she'd be honored for you to call her "Tuti." I'll see her this weekend and I'll tell her I love her.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a wonderful tribute to Tuti!!