Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Therapy

I'm in therapy. I know, I know...some of you have thought that would be a good idea for quite a while. But it's for my knees, not my head! Misdiagnosis, huh!

Anyway, I started today. The point is to try to strengthen my hips and knees so as to alleviate the pain associated with the running I've been doing. It's a very long story that started twelve years ago.

I broke my left leg snow skiing. It was a tibial plateau fracture - the top of the bone in my lower leg. In effect, I broke my knee. I have a plate and five pins in there that make for a very nice xray.

My physical therapist back then told me that if I didn't rehab completely my left hip would get the worst of it for having to make up for the weak knee. Then over the long haul, my right leg would pay for it by having to take up the slack for the left leg.

That's where I am today. The running I've recently been doing isn't really the culprit. The running just magnified the problem.

So I'm not able to run for a few days, maybe weeks but I hope not. I really like running and hope to one day be able to run the half mile in a time as good as or better than my personal best of 2:14.8. That was in the spring of 1979. I was 14 years old in 9th grade. I may even go to the Robinson High School track. That's where I ran 2:14.8.

The therapy hurt worse than the injury at first. I whined about it in a FB post. But now, about six hours laters, there's not much pain in either knee. That's the first time in about a week. So maybe the doctor and the therapist know what they are doing after all.

I guess I'll stick with it, follow the instructions, do it all, and come out of this ok.

Sometimes doing the right thing doesn't make sense. And along the way it's uncomfortable or just plain hurts. But God works in every situation you can get into and he works to make something good out of it. So we can consider the fact that we may face trials as pure joy, knowing that God wants us to become more like Christ.

If you take that approach to your trials, I think your trials won't get the best of you.

No comments: