Friday, January 13, 2012

Weekly Devotion - January 13, 2012


“But those who trust in the Lord will renew their strength; they will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary; they will walk and not faint.”
Isaiah 40:31 HCSB

Sometimes I get tired. It doesn’t take much exercise or physical labor before I’m breathing heavily and sweat begins to run down the side of my face. Some men in the church got together last summer and poured a concrete sidewalk connecting two of our buildings. I thought I was going to pass out! My strength was sapped too quickly. I admire those of you who can do that sort of physical work.

I’ve been walking for exercise three mornings each week since the first of the year. I’m being pushed by the two who are walking with me. Sometimes it feels like they are dragging me! But not long after we are through with the exercise my breathing returns to normal. And after a little while longer my legs actually have a little more spring in them. We’ve only been at this for a couple of weeks but we are already walking farther and faster.

These examples of physical tiredness and renewal may help us understand the times when we are spiritually tired or weak. That happens to all of us, doesn’t it? Maybe temptation gets the best of you. Or you have to face a particularly difficult situation regarding your health or a relationship. Sometimes it’s multiple layers of stuff that drag you down.

You may feel like quitting. You might think you’ll never get on top of this. The prophet’s promise is good news for all of us: those who trust in the Lord will renew their strength. These words are so encouraging because I’ve been tired in my spirit before but I’ve been renewed. I’ve fallen but soared again. I’ve gasped for breath but have run again.

If you trust in the Lord you can have renewed strength to get through tough times. Pray that God will help you trust him more and feel that renewal.

No comments: