Saturday, January 28, 2012

Thank You, Pearces

This has been one of the most refreshing weeks I've had in a long, long time. I am attending the Pastors Conference at First Baptist Church in Jacksonville, Florida. This conference has been on my wish list for several years; I'm so glad I came this year.

The preaching has been great. The workshops have been very useful. The fellowship with other pastors makes me miss my friends back home. If I were to grade the conference, it gets an A+!

Perhaps the most special part is the couple I've met who are housing me for the week. In order to help keep costs down for those who need it, the members of the church who are able open their homes to guys like me. The hotel bill for this conference would have been several hundred dollars. Instead, $0.

Allan and Pat Pearce are a delightful couple. They have been part of FBC JAX since the '70s. They have served their church and the pastors in countless ways. Until this year they were part of the "Ask Me" crew - those folks that point us in the right direction as we try to move from place to place across this big campus.

Another way the Pearces have served, and how they are serving me, is by opening their home to me. Not only that, but they also picked me up at the airport AND let me use one of their cars to go back and forth to the conference each day. That saved another couple hundred dollars. Then I could also talk about the wonderful fellowship around their breakfast table, too!

It might be fun to fly into town, get a shuttle to a downtown hotel, and ride the metro to and from the conference every day. But I would have missed getting to know Allan and Pat.

I admire FBC JAX because of this conference, because of their pastor, but mostly because of the Pearces.
For my new friends, the words to this old gospel song seem appropriate: "If we never meet again this side of heaven I will meet you on that beautiful shore."

No comments: