Thursday, January 19, 2012

Weekly Devotion - January 20, 2012

"Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace
as you believe in Him so that you may overflow with hope
by the power of the Holy Spirit."
Romans 15:13 HCSB

"I just hope this works out." She was visibly nervous when she spoke these words. A hint of desperation tinted her voice. The unspoken words were "but I really don't think it will."

I guess we need to understand what the word "hope" means. The common usage of the word indicates wishful thinking. A person has a dream that is out of reach yet they hope to achieve it. This kind of "hope so" mentality is based upon experiences, our own abilities and those of others.

But the biblical usage means confident expectation. Christians have hope not based upon their ability to achieve or anybody else's abilities, but based upon the promise of God. Do you believe God will keep his promises? He has proven himself to be trustworthy, his word proclaims his reliability, so I trust his promises.

I have hope that God will provide for me. I have hope that even in difficult times God is guiding and helping me. I have hope that a person who calls on the name of Jesus for salvation will be saved. I have hope that when this life is over there is an eternal life in heaven awaiting me.

This God of hope fills those who follow him with joy and peace. That means that even when life is not going the way I want it to go I can have an inner sense of satisfaction. Even though the storms may be raging around me I can have a sense of calm. Joy and peace reinforce my hope.

God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit are all involved. That means that the fullest essence of God is at work in Christians' lives to help us with what we face now and in the future. That's not "hope so," it's "know so"! Pray that God will give you hope and joy and peace.

No comments: