Thursday, January 12, 2012

Walk before You Work

The last four nights have been good for me. I had the opportunity to lead music in a Bible Conference at Otter Creek First Baptist Church in Little Rock. Since I am a pastor, I don't get the chance to do this much. But I love it.

And I heard four good preachers deliver four good sermons. I love that, too. So it's been a pretty good week!

Gary Hollingsworth is pastor of Immanuel Baptist Church in Little Rock. He spoke on the topic of living in the will of the Father. One of his points was that our walk with the Lord is more important than our work for the Lord. He was quick to say - and I agree - that our work for the Lord is important. It just doesn't matter if the walk is right.

I believe that good works naturally develop out of a good walk. Nothing gets a person interested in helping others like getting to know the Lord better. As we learn more about Jesus we will soon learn that he was all about helping people. As you turn the pages of the Gospels you can't help but notice how he reached out to touch a blind man's eyes or a crippled man's hand. He had compassion for those whose family members were dying (or already dead!). He cared about the lonely, broken, left out in the crowds.

And could you dare claim that Jesus DID NOT have an incredible relationship with the Father? Of course NOT! Now, we aren't God like Jesus is. But the principle is the same: walk before works, walk leads to works.

One of my points of focus for 2012 is spiritual development. I plan to lead our church to a greater depth in relationship with Christ. What will come of that? I expect we will be more compassionate and will impact more people around us. I expect we'll be more urgent sharing our faith and will see more people come to know Christ as Savior and Lord.

In other words, by focusing on our walk we'll do good works. That will help us reach the goal of "Impacting Eternity at the Cross Road of Life."

No comments: